Saturday, June 20, 2009

If you've got a pot to plant in.

I used to be (and still am in many ways) very in the box. Or for this post I suppose I should say in the pot. Anyways, there was a time when I would have only planted things in garden approved containers; the ground, gorgeous black or iron urns, or terracotta pots (mmm, nothing is better than aged terracotta, the blissful mossy patina of time and weather just makes my butt cheeks tingle, I digress again.) Blame it on age, reading entirely too many home decor mags, or Martha, but lately if I can put dirt in it, I want to plant something in it. The desire to garden and grow only recently came over me as well. Now I feel lost without a few smudges of dirt under my nails or the familiar ache of my back from a bit too much bending and stooping. It would be wise of E to not allow me to ever purchase a rototiller unless of course he doesn't want any yard to mow. I could easily become one of those odd little old ladies who has some sort of plant in every inch of her yard. The woman who can name, even the Latin name, every single bloom and cares for them more than her own children (or dogs.) Ok, so I might be a tad like that already as I did shed a few sorrowful tears over the recent Ortho-ing of my butterfly bush(at my own hands) and it's subsequent wilting and pitiful state . I am praying that I get good garden juju and it blooms this year. I have been showering it with lots of love and gentle caresses and of course no more Ortho is allowed in that area.



Yesterday E and I ventured to Thornville where The Urban Farmhouse awaited. I found this little gem a few years ago when it was The White Cottage. EVERYTHING was white, shabby chic and a bit pricey. In the last year or two the current owner, Lisa, renamed it, revamped it and has some really amazing finds. She has a beautiful blend of vintage and reproductions all of which are very affordable. I try to go out every weekend and see what new treasures await, my mom lives in Thornville so that helps my addiction. The last time I was at "The Farmhouse" I noticed some vintage sap buckets and fell in love. At first I thought they would make adorable little trash cans (which I plan on getting at least one more for that purpose.) Then I realized what cute little vessels for a mini herb garden and for $10.00 you couldn't find something so sweet and precious anywhere else.




As I was perusing Lisa's shop I came across a vintage floating minnow bucket and had an idea. I really think that if my life where a cartoon I would have a light bulb over my head quite often, granted it would most often be only a 20 watt, but I do come up with some 100 watters now and then. I just loved the 1970's print on the side of the minnow bucket and knew I'd come up with something so I picked it up as well.




After a quick trip to Home Depot here is what we have.










Old Pal made a pretty good little planter. I just opened up the lid, filled it with dirt and planted this precious little trailing plant. The name of which I cannot remember. (See I'm not that little old lady just yet.) I think even Paul Hanly would be proud of my little planter. Who is Paul Hanly? I don't know but I now own his floating minnow bucket. Here's hoping Paul caught many a fish with this beauty.




Can't forget that sweet little sap bucket. It was just big enough for rosemary, basil and parsley. Just planting the basil made me giddy with the joy of knowing we'll soon have fresh basil and tomato sandwiches. Don't get me started on the rosemary, the fresh lemony piney deliciousness, no chicken is worthy of it's beauty.





Peek a boo parsley, sticking it's sunny verdant face out of the hole the sap spigot would fill.



It makes me happy to give simple things like minnow and sap buckets the important purpose of housing such beautiful things. Lisa has a ton of those sap buckets, Home Depot has tons of flowers, I think we all know what I plan on doing next weekend too!








No comments:

Post a Comment