Monday, June 15, 2009

Regardez mes oreillers! (Look at my pillows!)

I am sometimes overwhelmed with the need to create. To get my hands dirty and make something out of nothing. Ok, I really don't like getting my hands dirty but I do like creating things. I also HATE spending money on something I know I can make myself. Take this for instance. Yes, it's super cute but I would never pay $32.00 for it. Well especially not now, when I made this for $3.00!!

And this one for $3.00!!

The first one has a little edging issue but I plan on fixing that tonight. The bigger one came out great.
These are made with my new love; unbleached cotton aka muslin. Where has this wonderful product been hiding all this time?? It's so affordable too! It ranges from $1.49 to $3.99 a yard. Here I used the $3.99 muslin because it had a darker color, less yellow than the $1.49 and it was a bit heavier weight. By the time I got the stencil, paint and brush the total cost per pillow is $3.00! I am a firm believer that decorating with things you love is most important and second to that is affordability.
I also made the other two pillows in the above picture. The grey one is damask and the greenish one in the far back is burlap. Now that one, was a good thought but not so great at completion. Burlap does not make good pillow covers, no matter what HGTV says. I plan on scrapping that one this weekend for another design on the muslin that I'm cooking up. I'll keep you posted.









No comments:

Post a Comment